In this 36th episode of OneHaas, host Sean Li talks to Vera Liu FTMBA ‘19. They discuss her background in finance, how she wants to cross-pollinate those skills moving forward in her career, study abroad opportunities at Haas, and more.
- Vera moved to the US from Beijing about 10 years ago to attend NYU for undergrad and studied Finance and Accounting at Stern Business School.
- She stayed in NYC to work at various hedge funds.
- Vera always wanted to move to the west coast and was interested in working in finance but somewhere that served technology firms, so moving near Silicon Valley made the most sense for her.
- She has tried to differentiate herself by how and where she applies her financial analytical skills, wanting to disrupt and create change in industries like media and technology.
- Vera studied abroad in London through Haas, mainly due to her own personal interests in London as a financial center.
- Haas has allowed her to connect with a lot of people in the Bay Area who are VC investors and a diverse set of classmates.
- Haas and Columbia University in NYC have a longstanding partnership.
3 Key Points:
- Finance will always be needed, no matter what business you’re in.
- Haas’s study abroad opportunities are a similar course load and time commitment.
- Use your time in business school to seek opportunities where you wouldn’t be able to otherwise, like in other countries and cities.